Skip to main content

First Formation Flight

I did my first formation flight, ok so it wasn’t a true formation we still had lots of room between us but it was closest that I’ve ever intentionally been to an other aircraft. I’m with my friend David from school and meet up with some other friends in the air to a fly-in breakfast that we didn’t know we were all going to.

After breakfast we talked on the ground and thought we should meet up in the air and snap some photos of each other. We decided that we should go first and be the point of the 3 since we were in a high wing Cessna and they were both in low wing. We would get establish on an altitude and they would come up behind and below on ether side of us so we could all see each other the whole time. We are all new at this and this is this first time for most of us. I don’t do much talking in the podcast but I am very much there, we had decided to have David take the radios and I just fly the plane. We never really got too close but it was a blast doing it.



The pics below are some of the pictures we took I don't have a map of this flight but you can look back to last months flight to the same breakfast were we are flying almost the same route.



waiting to take off that is David and I are in the Cessna in the front.




You can almost see our smiling faces in this one.


the view from our right side


and out our left side







This is us bugging out.


Comments

paula said…
I know you know what you are doing, but speaking as your mother, be careful up there.

Popular posts from this blog

Shad's Flight to Catalina Island the Airport in the Sky

My last flight in 2015 was a perfect April day with light winds, clear skies and temperatures in the mid 70s F. The crew was myself, my son Shadrach, and two buddies from the Navy; Tony and Bill. We were flying to Catalina Island KAVX (aka The Airport in the Sky). The day was so clear we took off from just outside San Diego KSEE and once we got over the ocean we could see the island right away. We flew in to airport and took a shuttle down to the main town, Avalon, and walked around for a bit before heading home.

This was one of my most memorable flights not because of the close friends I was with, the perfect day, or the bucket list location. But because it was my son's last flight with me before he pass away in May 2015 at the age of 5. He loved to go flying with Dad and I loved taking him up. He died of cancer that he had been fighting for the previous two years. That April we knew he wasn't going to make it. We had known since about November of 2014 but we were just living…

FIFI the only Flying B-29

My youngest brother and I in November of 2010 got to go see the only flying B-29 when it came to the valley for a few days it was very neat. There was also a B-25 and B-17 there. We got to go inside of all of them and took lots of pictures. Below are some and on a link to even more.
Download the short podcast of the flight over here.

 Check out more pictures of our flight here.

MH-60R Seahawk

The next part of our training we were tested on was the implantation of the MH-60R Seahawk . Up to this point we had simulated controlling the capabilities of a SH-60B which has been the work horse of the Navy since the 80's.The new "Romeo" has all the latest and greatest equipment and the tactics are slightly different. Passed the test. Just a few weeks until graduation.