Skip to main content

Free Flying!



Download podcast here:
http://www.archive.org/download/FundedCapFlt/fundcapflt.mp3

This flight is my first really funded flight flying for the Civil Air Patrol that I flew last Tuesday. My squadron at Falcon Field Airport (FFZ) just got a plane assigned to them again and today I signed up for a crew pick up flight. The Arizona Wing does consolidated maintenance and for good or for bad some has to go pick up the pilot that takes their plane in to the shop in Payson (PAN). On this flight I pick up a pilot after he dropped off his plane and took him back to his car at Chandler Municipal (CHD).

Falcon Field like many in the Phoenix valley has its roots as an Army Air Corps field build for training British pilot in World War II. Falcon Field was it's original name give to it by the British in the 40's and the name has suck since. Currently it has one 5100ft and a parallel 3800ft runways and is one of the busier airports in the valley one probably my favorite. 

This recording is just me taking off and opening my flight plan. You'll notice that I recored this podcast different then the others. I bought a patch cable that plugs right into the headset jack but it did something very strange in the begining of the flight the audio levels were normal but the slowly got lower and lower that by the the of the flight you could barely hear the audio at all. That's why you are only getting the first part.  The rest of the recording was so bad that I really couldn't even use it. If there is any one that has an idea of what is happening please send me an email trevor@desertpilot.com. On past audio recording I used a little tie clip mic that I put in my headset ear cuff. The patch cable audio is much clearer with very little background noise, but the background with the tie clip you can hear the plane noise and gives it a more organic feel like you are there. It's different let me know what think of ether I hope you enjoy.

Falcon Field sq. patch

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New FAA Medical Process with MedXPress

It was that time again to renew my FAA medical, and if you are like me then you are new to the FAA's online process. The FAA have stream lined the process on a new web site at   medxpress.faa.gov . The Stuck Mic AvCast did a recent episode on the process on MedXpress. Having just finished I'll recap what I did. First if you are a 20-something like me the the online form at MedXpress is extremely easy to fill out to set up an account on the MedXpress site. The site only has one form to fill out. FAA Form 8500-8. This is the old form that you used to fill out at the doctors office. After filling it out online you can print it out and save it as a PDF file. I love saving things as a PDF I have a folder in the DropBox cloud service that I keep all of my important papers so I don't lose it. This online process is just for the FAA Form 8500-8 so if you have any special considerations those must still be filled out by hand. I recently ...

Page AZ the Vortex where things go wrong

View CHD-U77 in a larger map Still trying to get my 250nm solo cross country I decided to fly to Utah last Wednesday. Jessica had driven up with her mom the to be where it is cool and help her grandma. The plan was to fly up on Wednesday and back on Friday. Although I was taking a faster Cessna 172 it couldn't make the 455nm flight to Spanish Fork so I had to stop somewhere for fuel The flight was going great until I got to Page, AZ, my planned stop for fuel. The landing I made was beautiful if I don't say so, but it was really rough after the nose wheel touched so I taxied off. Low and behold the nose tire was flat. So 2 1/2 hours later because of the incompetency of the mechanic there I was back in the air. The stay in Utah was great nice cool air and temps with a wonderful wife. Friday on the way back everything was great until I got to Page. I landed, fueled up everything seemed normal got in the plane the thing wouldn't start. The starter wasn't engaging the prop....

Ep. 10 - Fathers day flight

This audio is my father, my son and I flying into Tucson international airport (KTUS) . Recorded in June 2019. _________ Find the podcast on most podcatchers like  Apple Podcast ,  Stitcher , or  Overcast Reach me on⇢ ✈︎ twitter: @DesertPilotTrev ✈︎ facebook: DesertPilot Podcast ✈︎ email: trevor@desertpilot.com